Why should you delete old emails?
Email is one of the most popular forms of communication in the world. We use it to stay in touch with friends and family, to collaborate with colleagues, and to conduct business. But did you know that email also has a significant environmental impact?
Every email we send and receive is stored on a server, and these servers require a lot of energy to power and cool. As a result, email contributes to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change.
But don’t worry! In this article we will give you tips on how to manage your emails efficiently and give you the names of services that can help you to clean your mailbox.
What is the carbon footprint of emails?
The average carbon footprint of an email is 0.3g CO2e. That’s the average emission for a short email that’s been sent from laptop to laptop. The numbers go down if it’s sent from phone to phone (0.2g CO2e), or if it’s a spam email that’s picked up by your inbox filter (0.03g CO2e).
The numbers go up, however, if it’s a long email that takes ten minutes to write and three seconds to read (17g CO2e), or if it’s got one image or an attachment (50g CO2e). The vast majority of these emissions come from the embodied carbon of the device it was sent on; smaller emissions come from the device’s electricity use, and the networks and data centres which send and store these emails.
If every person with an email address deleted only 10 junk emails today, they could save 1,725,00 gigabytes of storage space and around 55.2 million kilowatts of power. It´s enough to save enough energy to power 61,000 homes!
Where do the emissions come from?
When you send an email, it is stored on a server maintained by your email provider. These servers are located in data centers, which are large warehouses filled with computers and other equipment.
Data centers are very energy-intensive facilities. They require a lot of electricity to power the servers and to keep them cool. In addition, data centers produce a lot of heat, which must be removed to prevent the servers from overheating.
Data centers require a lot of electricity to operate. This electricity can come from a variety of sources, including fossil fuels, nuclear power, and renewable energy sources.
However, even when data centers are powered by renewable energy sources, they still have an indirect environmental impact. This is because the construction and maintenance of renewable energy infrastructure, such as solar panels and wind turbines, also requires energy and produces greenhouse gas emissions.
Why storing emails is bad for the environment
The amount of energy needed to store emails depends on a number of factors, including the size of the email, the type of attachments, and the email server provider.
Generally speaking, larger emails with more attachments require more energy to store. This is because these emails take up more space on the server.
Even if you don’t send or receive many emails, simply having emails stored in your inbox can generate emissions. This is because data centers must keep their servers running 24/7, even when they are not being used.
The more emails you have in your inbox, the more energy it takes to store them. In addition, large attachments can take up a lot of space on your server, which can also increase your energy consumption.
When you send an email, it is routed through a network of servers before it reaches the recipient’s inbox. This process requires energy, as the servers need to be powered and cooled.
The amount of energy needed to send an email depends on a number of factors, including the distance the email travels, the size of the email, and the type of attachments.
Generally speaking, emails that travel long distances and/or contain large attachments require more energy to send.
Tips to reduce the environmental impact of email
There are a number of things you can do to reduce the environmental impact of your email use, including:
- Delete old emails. This will free up space on your email server and reduce the amount of energy needed to store your emails.
- Avoid sending large attachments. If you need to send a large file, consider using a cloud storage service such as Google Drive or Dropbox. This will avoid having to attach the file to your email, which can save space and improve performance.
- Unsubscribe from unwanted mailing lists. This will reduce the number of emails you receive and save energy.
- Use an email server provider that uses renewable energy sources. This will reduce the indirect environmental impact of your email use.
Why is it important to delete old emails?
Deleting old emails can help to reduce the environmental impact of email in a number of ways:
- It reduces the amount of energy needed to store and process emails.
- It reduces the amount of greenhouse gases emitted by data centers.
- It helps to free up space on your email server, which can improve performance and reduce costs for your email provider.
How to delete emails efficiently?
Here are some tips on how to delete emails efficiently:
- Start with big attachments. Emails with large attachments, such as photos and videos, can take up a lot of space on your server. Start by deleting these emails, especially if you have already backed up the attachments elsewhere.
- Delete emails by date. If you have a lot of old emails in your inbox, you can delete them by date. This is a good way to get rid of emails that you are no longer likely to need.
- Use filters to delete emails. Most email providers allow you to create filters to automatically delete emails that meet certain criteria, such as emails from specific senders or emails with certain keywords in the subject line. This can be a great way to save time and effort when deleting emails.
- Use a service to clean your mailbox. There are a number of services available that can help you to clean your mailbox and delete old emails. These services can be especially helpful if you have a large number of emails in your inbox or if you don’t have time to delete emails manually.
Services that can help to clean your mailbox
Here are some names of services that can help to clean your mailbox. These services work in different ways, but they all have the same goal: to help you to delete old emails and organize your inbox. Some of these services are free, while others charge a subscription fee.
Clean Email helps you manage your mailbox overloaded with unread and unwanted emails more efficiently while keeping your data safe and respecting your privacy. Clean up emails with our email inbox cleaner app. Clean Email includes a variety of powerful tools and features to help you quickly clean out an overloaded mailbox, then easily keep it clean going forward by automating email cleaning tasks as you go. It’s designed as a bulk email cleaner and works with groups of emails.
Unroll.me is a free tool that helps you manage your email subscriptions by unsubscribing from unwanted emails and rolling up the rest into a daily digest. It’s easy to use and works with all major email providers. To use Unroll.me, simply connect your email inbox and it will scan for all of your subscriptions. You can then review your subscriptions and choose to unsubscribe from the ones you don’t want, or roll them up into a daily digest.
Mailstrom is a web-based email client that helps you manage your inbox more efficiently with bulk actions, automatic rules, and reports. It scans your inbox for bundles of related messages and makes it easy to take action on them all at once. Mailstrom also helps you unsubscribe from unwanted emails, block unwanted senders, and get a weekly report on your email activity. If you’re looking for a way to get your inbox under control and save time managing your email, Mailstrom is a great option.
Cleanfox is a free email cleaner that helps you unsubscribe from unwanted newsletters, delete old emails in bulk, and reduce your email carbon footprint. It also recommends newsletters to unsubscribe from based on your reading habits. Cleanfox is easy to use and works with all major email providers. Simply connect your email account and it will scan your inbox for all of your subscriptions. You can then review your subscriptions and choose to unsubscribe from the ones you don’t want with a single click. Cleanfox will also show you a list of your oldest emails and give you the option to delete them all at once.
SaneBox is a powerful AI-powered email management tool that helps you save time, stay organized, and focus on the most important emails. It automatically sorts and filters your incoming emails into different folders, snoozes emails for a later time, creates smart filters, helps you unsubscribe from unwanted email lists, and integrates with popular email clients.
Would you like to read more technology tips?
Technology plays a major role in our everyday life. And there are a lot of things we can do to be more eco-friendly while using technology. Click here to find all our easy eco tips on technology!