Shampoo bars or shampoo bottles? Solid shampoo bars are making a comeback as people become more aware of the environmental impact of shampoo plastic bottles. But how do these two products really compare?
One of the biggest environmental concerns associated with shampoo plastic bottles is the amount of plastic waste they generate. Every year, billions of shampoo bottles are thrown away, and many of these end up in landfills or oceans. Plastic waste can take hundreds of years to decompose, and it can have a devastating impact on marine life and ecosystems.
Solid shampoo bars, on the other hand, are typically packaged in minimal or recyclable packaging. This means that they generate much less plastic waste than shampoo plastic bottles.
Another environmental concern associated with shampoo plastic bottles is the amount of water they use. Liquid shampoos are typically made up of 80% water. This means that you are essentially paying for a lot of diluted product in a plastic bottle. This amount of water makes the bottles very heavy, which also adds to the transportation footprint.
Solid shampoo bars, on the other hand, are typically concentrated and do not contain water. This means that they require less water to produce and transport. In addition, solid shampoo bars can be used to lather up hair with less water than liquid shampoo.
The carbon footprint of shampoo products is another important environmental consideration. The carbon footprint of a product is the total amount of greenhouse gases emitted throughout its lifecycle, from production to transportation to disposal.
The carbon footprint of shampoo plastic bottles is typically higher than the carbon footprint of solid shampoo bars. This is because shampoo plastic bottles require more energy to produce and transport than solid shampoo bars. Shampoo plastic bottles are more likely to end up in landfills.
The packaging of shampoo products is also an important environmental consideration. Shampoo plastic bottles are typically made of plastic, which is a non-renewable resource. In addition, plastic packaging is not always recyclable or compostable.
Solid shampoo bars, on the other hand, are typically packaged in minimal or recyclable packaging. This means that they generate less waste and are more environmentally friendly than shampoo plastic bottles.
Other environmental benefits of solid shampoo bars
In addition to the environmental benefits listed above, solid shampoo bars also offer a number of other environmental benefits. For example, solid shampoo bars are often (check for every brand before buying!):
- Vegan and cruelty-free: many solid shampoo bars are vegan and cruelty-free, meaning that they do not contain any animal products or test their products on animals.
- Fair trade and ethically sourced: Many solid shampoo bars are made with fair trade and ethically sourced ingredients. This means that the farmers and workers who produce the ingredients are paid fairly and treated with respect.
- Palm oil-free: Many solid shampoo bars are palm oil-free. Palm oil is a controversial ingredient that is associated with deforestation and habitat destruction.
Overall, solid shampoo bars are a more environmentally friendly option than shampoo plastic bottles. Solid shampoo bars generate less plastic waste, conserve water, have a lower carbon footprint, and are typically packaged in minimal or recyclable packaging. In addition, solid shampoo bars are often vegan, cruelty-free, fair trade, and ethically sourced.
How to choose a good solid shampoo bar
When choosing a solid shampoo bar, there are a few things you can do to ensure that you are choosing a sustainable product:
- Look for a shampoo bar that is packaged in minimal or recyclable packaging. Avoid shampoo bars that are packaged in plastic.
- Choose a shampoo bar that is made with sustainable ingredients. Avoid shampoo bars that contain palm oil, sulfates, and other harmful ingredients.
- Support small businesses and brands that are committed to sustainability. Many small businesses offer sustainable solid shampoo bars made with high-quality ingredients.
Tips for using solid shampoo bars
If you are new to using solid shampoo bars, here are a few tips:
- Wet your hair thoroughly before using the shampoo bar. This will help the shampoo bar lather up more easily.
- Gently rub the shampoo bar between your hands to create a lather. You can also use a mesh bag to create a lather.
- Massage the lather into your hair and scalp. Pay special attention to the roots of your hair.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Allow your shampoo bar to dry completely between uses. You can store your shampoo bar in a soap dish or on a wire rack.
- Remember: every shampoo brand is different, and every type of hair is different. If a shampoo bar doesn’t work for you, don’t give up! Just try another one until you find the perfect one.
Where can I find eco-friendly shampoo brands?
If you are looking for a large choice of sustainable beauty and self-care brands, including shampoos, conditioners, face & body, solid beauty bars, visit The Ethical Choice, our eco-brand directory where we have compiled all the sustainable brands we trust, and that you can filter by keywords, price, rating, location, etc.
In the meantime, you can also find our selection of the TOP 8 eco-friendly shampoo brands.